Tuesday 11 December 2012

android, part 2: Backing up your phone

This is part 2 of three posts & describes how to back up your data.
This is an essential part of the process if you wish to upgrade your android version, but equally it can & arguably should be done as a matter of course.

NB: doing these operations will invalidate your warranty & may brick your phone. I take no responsibility & you proceed at your own risk. Saying that it worked for me so I am alright jack.
  • Part 1 describes how to root your phone
  • Part 3 will describe how I upgraded my Motorola Defy from 2.2.2 to 4.0.4
Backing up your phone data can take various forms I did all these descibed here.

  1. I installed 'app dragon'. This simple little app just creates a list of your installed apps & their versions which I then emailed to myself. It is not a back up app as such.
  2. I installed titanium Backup & backed up all the apps. The backup is stoed on the sd drive which I then copied off to another PC.
  3. I performed an APN Backup. This is a backup of all your network settings.
  4. I did a full backup of the sd drive on to a remote PC
Described in Part 3 I also perform a full backup of the currently installed version of android.

The thing I did not do because I assumed it was done as part of the above was backup the bookmarks in my favourite browser Opera. So I lost these in the process of performing the android upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment